Multi-signature wallets, also known as “multisig” wallets, are a type cryptocurrency wallet that requires multiple private keys to authorize transactions. This adds security to the wallet by requiring that multiple keys be compromised in order to gain access. This tutorial will show you how to create a multisignature wallet with Sparrow, an open-source multisig wallet system.
- Install Sparrow: First, install Sparrow on your computer. You can download the latest version of Sparrow from the project’s GitHub page (https://github.com/sparrowwallet/sparrow). Double-click the executable after you have downloaded the file.
- Create a new wallet. Once Sparrow is open, click the “Create a new Wallet” button. When you are prompted, enter a name and password for your wallet. As this password will protect your private keys, make sure it is strong and unique.
- Choose a multisigtype: Next, select a multisigtype. Sparrow supports multiple multisig wallet types, including 2-of-3 and 3-of-5 as well as 2-of-2. You can choose the one that suits your needs best. If you are looking to create a multisig wallet that has two co-signers you should choose the 2-of-2 option.
- You will need to generate your private keys after you have selected a multisig type. Click on the “Generate” button to do this. This process will be repeated for each private key required for the multisig type you have chosen (e.g. two keys for a 2-of-2 wallet). These private keys are your only access to your funds.
- You will need to add co-signers if you have chosen multisig types that require more than one private keys. Click on the “Add co-signer” button. Enter the public address and the name of each cosigner. They will also need a copy their private key.
- Fund your wallet: After you have set up your multisig wallet, and added the co-signers required, you can start funding it with cryptocurrency. Click on the “Receive” tab to select the cryptocurrency that you want to receive. This will create a public address which you can use for sending funds to your wallet.
- Transact: Click on the “Send” tab to make a transaction with your multisig wallet. Enter the recipient’s address and the amount of cryptocurrency that you wish to send. The transaction will be signed by you. For example, if your wallet is set up to be a 2-of-2, you will have to sign the transaction before it can go out to the network.
That’s it! Now you have a fully functioning multisignature wallet with Sparrow. You should keep in mind that specific steps will vary depending on which multisig wallet you have set up and what cryptocurrency you are using.